Monday, August 6, 2012

How to Dress like a Drag Queen



Have you ever wondered how do those guys do it? You know dress up as a drag queen?\



One of my close friend who is a drag had a talent runway competition in search for the Mr. and Miss. GAPA. GAPA which stands for The Gay Asian Pacific Alliance is an organization dedicate to furthering the interests of gay and bisexuals Asian/Pacific Islanders by creating awareness, by developing a positive collective identity, and by establishing a supportive community. GAPA was formed from the need for an organization to address, through a democratic process, social, cultural, and political issues affecting the gay and bisexual Asian/Pacific Islander community.



This marks the 24th year of the Mr. and Miss. GAPA pageant and it was held in the Herbst Theater in San Francisco. It was hosted by the infamous Tita Aida, one of the most recognized Asian and Pacific Islander personalities in the LGBT community.  
The best thing about how the night ended my friend won MISS. GAPA 2012!! 
So MISS. JEZEBEL PATEL, this blog is for you.

Watching all the pretty men over the weekend was amazing! One it really took my mind off of things that happened to me this week and two, it made me curious on what how do these guys do it?

Heck, they're prettier than me! LOL

So I researched a couple topics on HOW TO DRESS LIKE A DRAG QUEEN

How to Dress Like a Drag Queen

Sequins and heavy eye makeup are staples of the drag queen's arsenal.


The key is to embrace the sense of camp intrinsic! In better words on how RuPaul states it, "I do not impersonate females! 

Instructions:
1. Wear the correct foundation! Make sure it is not too light or not too dark. You can definitely go to a makeup counter and do a color check. I was talking to my friend he said MAC makeup is the heaviest and is what a lot of drags use the most.
2. Wear the right padded bra! Push-ups, Push-ups, Push-ups! The bigger the better! 
3. Make sure you have a Gaff to tuck those male genitals. Gaffs are heavy spandex underwear, usually thong-cut, that smooth out the male bulge.
4. Make sure you shave a much body hair as possible!!!
5. Learn how to walk in high heels. My friend mentioned that if a Drag does not know how to walk in high heels in a competition, they are for sure to loose. 
6. Bring on the Sequins and the Feathers! True drag queen ensembles
7. Wigs and Fake eyelashes! Always keep in mind the bigger, the flashier, the better.

While doing this research I came across a topic that a lot of drag queens question about and that is where can a drag find the right clothing?

My friend he said his sewing machine is his best friend but for those who do not have the skill to do so where does a drag go?

So I looked up what would RuPaul, one of the most famous drag queens of all time, and found an interview where she talks about her life as a drag. She mentions the biggest secret for every drag to know is where a drag can find clothes to fit her size, she states “tailoring.”

(Unfortunately, since I got kicked out of the library since it was closing I lost the link to her interview) 

But I created a list of tailors in San Francisco who tailors specifically for drag queens and also listed a couple of links where a drag can shop for dresses that will fit her size.

List of Tailors:
List of where to shop for Custom-Made Dresses for drags:

I have to admit this is one of the reasons why I love living in SAN FRANCISCO



CONGRATULATIONS JEZEBEL PATEL!

No comments:

Post a Comment